Thursday, August 4, 2011

The West...and the South... and well. Anywhere but the Middle Atlantic, really.

Interesting tidbit about the Midwest...and actually, the West...and the South...and really, anywhere except New Jersey--people are intrigued and slightly confounded (but excited, usually!) by visitors. When we stop someplace, people want to know where we are from. Sometimes they guess.
For example, one man in Chicago stopped and asked us if we were from Germany. Um?
In California, Dave's family was surprised and I think a little disappointed that I did not have the "Joisey" accent.
In New Orleans, a bunch of guys at a bar were unconvinced that I was not from Texas or some place because of my belt.

I suppose "The East" is as exotic to the rest of the country as it is for those of us in Jersey. Of course, when we say the East, we mean Asia; whereas, they mean us.

No comments:

Post a Comment